7 Signs of an Unhealthy Gut
How healthy is your gut and why does it matter?
You've probably never connected the two but your gut could be telling you something.
If you are suffering any of these symptoms it's possible that you should be looking at your gut healthy and its microbiome.
- Bloating, diarrhoea, gas, heart burn, constipation, any digestive issues
- Moodiness, Depression, anxiety
- Sugar Cravings
- Skin problems like spots, eczema
- Food sensitivities
- Autoimmune Conditions
- and one for luck - Bad breath
They say that your gut is your second brain, so if your gut is unhealthy then this can cause a cascade of ailments through to some chronic diseases such as diabetes and even some cancers.
The good news is look after your gut and the rest may look after itself.
So what should you be doing?
Firstly monitor your reaction to certain foods. What may work for one person doesn't necessarily mean it will work for your gut but generally you should be looking to:
- Eat more fibre (this may work for some but fibre can be too much for others)
- Stop eating processed foods and start cooking high quality and nutritious foods such as organic veg.
- Eat healthy fats such as avocados, oily fish.
- Cut out sugary foods that will feed bad bacteria
- Feed your gut with healthy bacteria such a fermented foods, macrobiotics
- Exercise regularly, this will massage the gut and help the digestive system.
- Get good sleep. Sleep is when your body repairs. Lack of sleep will make you tired and sluggish.
A lifetime of neglect of eating processed foods, a sugar loaded diet and inflammatory foods has left your gut screaming for help. The good thing is that this can all be reserved by eating a gut friendly diet. It will mean a change from your norm.