Pumpkin Soup Caribbean Style
A deliciously warming and hearty soup on a cold autumnal evening
1 Pumpkin (peeled & chopped into cubes)
2 tbsp Butter
3 Spring Onions (Chopped)
1 Large Onion (finely chopped)
3 Tomatoes (skinned & Chopped)
225ml Coconut Milk
1/4 tsp Grated Nutmeg
Pinch Cayenne Pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste
150ml soured cream to serve
- Place the pumpkin into a large saucepan, add water to cover and add salt to taste. Bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 200 mins.
- Drain, reserve the liquid in a pan to the side.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan
- Add Onions and spring onions and fry until golden and soft
- Add the pumpkin, tomatoes, coconut milk, 700 ml of pumpkin cooking liquid.
- Add nutmeg, cayenne Pepper and salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for approx 30 mins.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the pumpkin into a liquidiser small amounts at a time and blender to a smooth consistency. Adding small amounts of the cooking liquid if consistency is too thick.
- Pour into a bowl and swirl the soured cream on top
- Sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg
- Serve immediately.